Sunday, October 14, 2018

Week 7 Post

Working inside a Learning Management System has been different than just working to create digital assignments.  Designing a course inside that system has changed the way I am approaching this course.  It took about a week to really understand the way Canvas worked and how I can create the assignment types inside it that are needed.  The LMS has given me some structure to my assignments.  It has given me an easy way to do create some of the environments like discussions that are more difficult in other environments.  It also gives an easy structure to hold all the documents in one place and allow them to open up as they are completed.  These structures are helping give the course a nice flow from one module to another. 

There have been some challenges as well.  The structures are something that is different than I am familiar with using.  This has caused some tasks to take different forms than I was originally thinking.  This mainly comes from the way the instructions are used in this platform. It works best to explain the entire module in one document and then move through the work than explain each assignment individually.  This is different but it does allow the educator to help explain the learning process to the learner and that allows the entire module to be seen as a unit. Each assignment is part of the unit and adds to the overall learning goal for that module.

I am starting to look through my feedback.  I am going to take into account what was said as I build the rest of my course.  It is always good to get an outside set of eyes on something that I am creating.  I tend to overlook things that are missing.  I read in the things that are supposed to be there but are left out.

Overall building the first part of my course has been challenging.  I enjoy learning a new environment to use and I have almost started thinking in the Canvas mode to create assignments.  I am looking forward to creating the rest of my course.

No comments:

Post a Comment